Home Forums Poker Strategy Tournament Strategy Improving Check-Raising Strategy?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,

I have a question about Check-Raising. I think my strategy is not very good, I have a problem choosing hands to Bluff-Check-Raise on the flop and especially come up with them on the turn and I think in theory we should probably Bluff-Check-Raise the river once in a while.

So I do have Piosolver and I try to use it regularly and check hands, but it is very hard to distill some concrete, simplified and easy to use (while multitabling) strategy from it.

How do you study this and improve on it and bring it to the table? Any tipps and tricks or rules or simplified strategies that work? Or anything that has helped you make progress on this topic?

Biggest problems is choosing the hands to bluff, even if I would know the concrete frequencies in every spot. Another problem is playing draws like flushdraws, never sure if I should call them, raise them, call flop and check-jam turn or just xc every street and then fold river when missing etc.

Thanks for any help!

rye_mariano5

It’s tricky and you’ll never get the frequencies correct really, unless you’re some genius who studies with solvers all day. But the main idea is to the get the basic type of hands right. So try to figure out which categories PIO uses in the different spot. For example x.raising some bottom pairs for protection. x.raising some high equity draws for obvious reasons. X/raising some mid pair with backdoor draws for good barrelling opportunities on many runouts. I honestly haven’t used PIO a ton either and am just starting to try to put more time into it but the more you look at the sims the better you should get. I think it’s just overwhelming and can feel like you’re not making progress, when in fact you actually are just in a tiny little increments.

Another thing you can do is get GTO trainer. You can then load PIO scripts (youtube how to create these along with reports) into the trainer and train different spots. So for example you could have one for BB vs BTN and how you want to react on different flops. Then with the trainer you have to guess the action and can pull up the PIO sim right there too. So it’s  good practice to try to guess which type of hands would be x/raised in a spot and then compare to the actual sim..

good luck! Also I’d ask in the discord app if I was you. There are probably lots of people with better ideas than me regarding PIO!

neurotic89
    Participant

Hey mariano5, thanks for the response. I will look into GTO trainer, although it is really starting to be alot of money for studying and tools (tmc, bountybeast, pio, icmizer, table optimizer) and I was also thinking about RYE ranger… I will also ask in discord next time. But thank you.

rye_mariano5

Yeah the tools can be pricey sometimes, but honestly if you’re using them efficiently they pay themselves off pretty fast.  Of course you don’t want to just be spewing money on every latest software all the time, but IMO investing in your poker study is never a bad decision, rather basically always a good one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.